ONLINE OPEN HOUSE: September 6, 2018-September 23, 2018
What is the project?
The West Seattle and Ballard Extensions are part of the regional ST3 package that voters approved in November 2016. These two separate light rail extensions will provide fast, reliable light rail connections to residential and job centers.
West Seattle quick facts:
- 4.7 miles of light rail service from downtown Seattle to West Seattle’s Alaska Junction neighborhood.
- West Seattle to SODO in 10 minutes.
- 5 light rail stations (3 new and 2 expanded) between the Stadium area and Alaska Junction.
- Open for service in 2030.
Ballard quick facts:
- 7.1 miles of light rail service from downtown Seattle to Ballard’s Market Street area, including a new downtown Seattle rail-only tunnel.
- Ballard to Westlake in 15 minutes.
- 9 light rail stations (7 new and 2 expanded) between International District/Chinatown and Market Street.
- Open for service in 2035.
- Build a 116-mile light rail network extending from Everett to Tacoma, and from Seattle neighborhoods to Redmond and Issaquah.
- Establish Bus Rapid Transit to the north, east and south of Lake Washington.
- Expand Sounder south line capacity and service, adding two new stations.
- Improve access and expand parking at stations.
The system plan is paid for with a combination of voter approved local taxes, federal grants, farebox revenues, borrowed funds and interest revenues.
To meet the challenge of delivering projects as quickly as possible, Sound Transit developed a System Expansion Implementation Plan that includes working with project partners, local jurisdictions, elected officials, community members and the public.
The following groups will help provide strategic input throughout project development: